[OLPC India] Some questions

keerthi shanmuga keerthi.ssram at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 06:19:31 EST 2009

*pls ref inline...*
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Satish Jha <jha.satish at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One of my friends from Harvard Alumni Group had the following to say:
> >
> > I'm familiar with this great initiative. The question I would have is
> this:
> > do you have studies on how the village changes when children get the XO?
>
> Some.
>
> > In
> > a poor village can the child be "only" a school learner, or does s/he
> have
> > other roles to play?

Often it is the case that, outside the school, rural boys have to attend to
the family shop/livelihood, or generally help the breadwinners
intermittently. The former President Dr.Kalam reports in his autobiography
that he used to distribute newspapers, sell sea shells or sit in his
brother's shop before/after school hours. If the family is partisan,
children are used for their nimble and smaller hands, in tasks like weaving.
I know of villages where such children move out of the day school into
evening classes, as they become more productive with the handloom.
The friend of Satish expresses concern, that the continuity of such training
and nurturing of the traditions and rural arts could be degraded by improper
penetration of hi-tech like the XO...
The positiveness of this group is admirable.  The concern is do we have
alternatives and contingencies for the negatives the XO might inadvertently
produce.
In a family of several children, the smarter ones are encouraged and
supported to continue education. For such children (by however means they
are identified so) the XO will be a terrific thing in their hands, and the
family might anticipate great things due to the endowment.
It still lies for us to think from the perspective of the family and develop
the XO in order to empower that smart child to give back to the family
through clever utilization of the XO -- instances of which I am certain have
already been witnessed.
- keerthi

Om namo bhagavate Vasudevaya

-- http://disha.resolve.at --