[OLPC India] Some questions

Ankur Verma ankur at laptop.org
Mon Jan 5 11:58:59 EST 2009

A step in this direction was to extend communication between XO and cell
phones;supporting text messaging (Ubiquitous in rural areas since here
people commonly use SMS/voice calls rather than accessing mobile internet).

SMS with XO can be used for disseminating information; which can be either
about latest commodity prices taken from school server, sent to parent's
cell phone, or any other notification. Students can even send their queries
to teachers and to other concerned communities.

I gave a demonstration on using SMS with XO at OLPC, Cambridge; the brief
overview of which can be found here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SMS
Initial step has been encouraging and It will be exciting to see real-world
results.

Regards,
Ankur