[OLPC India] Technical volunteers for OLPC in and around Delhi

Saurabh Adhikari adhikaris at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 1 18:29:57 EDT 2009

Sameer,

You may be living on dated information.

I am a volunteer for OLPC India as well and understand that there is NO OFFICIAL relationship between OLPC India and Reliance and Digital Foundation.

What you are talking about was done a year ago on the basis of laptops DONATED by OLPC to what seemed like the Reliance organization. Some of their employees volunteered for it.

Khairat was led by Carla of OLPC and not the person you name, though I hear he did a good job of supporting it at some point in time. However, there is no connectivity at Khairat despite the reports of Reliance of having supported it.

Also, Relaince did not seem to have put in any resources, did not buy any XOs and OLPC had to create a formal OLPC India organization (http://www.laptop.org/en/utility/people/satish-jha.html),  a fact that seemed to have escaped you, that has about couple dozen senior volunteers including Prajakt Raut (former Directo of TiE Asia, Nilu (a former no 2 of Spectramind), Kanchan Gupta (a former VOP of GE) and a dozen others equally senior folks.

The action is in a dozen new schools that you do not seem aware of. And various large scale deployments that are being planned.

Will you please let me know the list where real discussions are taking place?

Yes, we do need to build community. However, we need a large number of users as well. And we should all be hearing about that officially sometime sooner than later.

Sincerely,

S Adhikari

 .

cheers,