[OLPC India] BJP on FOSS fence: Campaigns vs Markets

Satish Jha satish at laptop.org
Sat Apr 18 10:11:12 EDT 2009

I am not sure if campaigns have changed purchasing policies in India. Will
be glad to know about some examples.

That said, "Sugar on a Stick" is good idea and sounds fun as a name as well,
amost like a lollypop..

One key aspect of open source or not for profit initiatives is that they do
not recognise the value of sales and marketing. But consider this. When a
buyer has multiple choices, multiple vendors making a case by every possible
means about the superiority and value of their product, the campaigns
become more of a noise and reverberate among those interested in them until
they gain a critical mass and momentum to override the market logic.

Then again, campaigns making technology choices have a huge question mark
hanging over them.. A bit like Taliban imposing values on the rest of the
society... Choices need to be made through a process that allow various
competing questions to be addressed and resolved through an agreeable set of
criteria..