[OLPC India] Use of XOs for Vocational Training & Back Office Support

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Sep 30 11:39:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:49 AM,  <Asksst at aol.com> wrote:
> Hi Marc & Ankur,
> Thanks for your response; sorry, I got tied up with some pressing issues of
> our foundation.
>
> We are thinking about dual boot XOs for RK College, because:
> 1. Besides using them in grades (6-12), we also want to use them for
> vocation training of those who pass high school and 12th grades.
> 2. We are also thinking about initiating Gram IT activity with help of
> Byrraju Foundation. For convenience, I'm attaching a document giving some
> articles about GramIT..
>
> We will like to know:
> 1. Can XOs be used for vocational training and production support of GramIT?

The age group you are talking about may have trouble with keyboard
size, but that can be easily remedied by a USB keyboard and mouse. Not
having seen the vocational side of the XO (i.e. Microsoft XP +
Microsoft Office on the XO) I don't know how acceptable its
performance will be. There was a video somewhere of XP running on the
XO, but it was XP only, not Microsoft Office. To add to that, there
will be an overhead of an anti-virus package (I hope!), so that will
add to the runtime load.

Maybe try to get hold of an old 500 ish MHz computer with 256 MB RAM,
and put MS XP + MS Office + Anti-Virus suite and see how it works...

> If this is true, we can start with 20-30 XOs at RK Girls College. We are
> thinking about ordering a few to understand their functionality and
> appropriateness for the above purposes. Any advice?
> 2. Since our school is Hindi medium in UP, we are curious if anyone has
>     a) Obtained or planning to obtain the latest syllabus or worked on UP
> curriculum. If not, can OLPC India help in this?

Work in this area will help a lot of other projects as well. NCERT
material is available at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/India_NCERT_eBooks

cheers,
Sameer
--