[OLPC India] OLPC Developers' program

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 01:51:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> --- On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta
> <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> | What kind of project are you thinking about ?
> \--
>
> Educational software with localization support, perhaps. I haven't
> seen how FOSS Indian language fonts look on the OLPC though.

We have more than 100 Activities, currently being localized into 80+
languages, including a dozen or so for India. We have ideas for some
that would be specific to Indian language and culture, or that would
result in greater sharing of Indian culture with the world.

One of our projects borrows the idea of Same-Language Subtitling of
Bollywood musicals (one of the most important literacy initiatives) to
provide a text-to-speech engine with text coloring, available for use
in any Sugar Activity. We can't make it sing yet, or read music
notation, but those would be obvious extensions.

If you can be a bit more specific about your goals and interests, we
might be able to tell you who else is working in your area or offer
other helpful information.

> SK
>
> --
> Shakthi Kannan
> http://www.shakthimaan.com

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children