[OLPC India] India Digest, Vol 22, Issue 19

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Sep 22 10:31:26 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Satish Jha <sjha at vsnl.com> wrote:
> I am overwhelmed by the kind of support this project is receiving from
> everyone.. from individuals to institutions and corporations and
> governments.. they have all been trying to do their best..
>
> My corporate relations adviser informs me that an airline has agreed to give
> a number of free tickets for the staff, a business house is willing to offer
> office space and support for all the schools it runs and the children they
> have run up in six figures and so on..
>
> However, our goal is to reach out to those who cannot help themselves.. And
> our efforts are focused primarily in that direction.
>
> While individual initiatives greatly contribute to the cause, aggregating
> them in an organized way may get a lot more out of them.
>
> We should also keep in mind that our production batch size is 50,000 at one
> time and unless we can scale up, the program will have different kind of
> management challenges.
>
> In this listserv, if we can focus on how to aggregate to large numbers, it
> will be a great help indeed.

Maybe what we need is a simple list or table of people who what small
batches of XOs in their school, village, neighborhood etc., organized
by location, etc. That way we can combine small batches into a larger
order. If 50 schools of 1000 children each speak up, we get 50K. It
could very well be a simple form that people fill out with all these
details and contact info, potential donors (whether they have any or
are seeking, etc).

This could even scale worldwide...

Thoughts?

Sameer