[OLPC India] Connectivity aspects of XO

Marc Valentin mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org
Sun Sep 21 16:50:49 EDT 2008

Hi Ankur,
Our school is near Sambhal in the Moradabad district, rural area. We
have 35 XO. We had an experience of connecting the XOs to internet
using a router and a Reliance Netconnect datacard. It works but the
main problem is that this connection system is already very slow with
one computer so when you want to connect several computers at the same
time it is not very practical... Reliance is using CDMA, an old
technology. I think the standard is now EVDO. In the GSM system when
internet connection is possible, I think it is not better, providers
are still offering EDGE and not 3G. Also there is a big gap between
the theoretic speed and the real speed. I don't see how it could
change in the near future.
-marc-
http://www.OeuvreDesPains.org