[OLPC India] moving forward..

Marc Valentin mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org
Fri Sep 12 08:13:06 EDT 2008

Hi Satish,

I appreciated your last post. Though questions remain without clear
transparency and I hope you will be able to bring more transparency in
the future.
We at 'Oeuvre des pains' received 15 XOs from G1G1 miscellaneous
donations and purchased 20 XOs from 'Digital Bridge Foundation'. We
wanted to have at least one machine for two children in a class in our
school. We don't plan to provide machines to all the children as it
would be much too expensive (650 students). So I think we can consider
ourselves as 'private pilot'. I have to say that we choose the XO
because it is an incredible machine, not because of the educative
'ideology' connected with it.

What I understand from your messages is that OLPC decided to start
seriously the expansion in India. That is good, but I feel your goals
are completely irrealistic (quantities) and that makes me a little bit
nervous. Actually, I don't really care if OLPC manage to distribute 10
M or 150 M XOs in India but I really care about WHO is going to get
them. I don't think you can say : 'every time a child gets an XO it is
a success'. No. Even if local governments or private companies donate
for the project, OLPC should have a clear (and transparent) policy to
develop backward areas. There are so much differences between the
cities and the rural areas, between the expensive private schools and
the poor children roaming around and not going to school in the
villages. There is also a very big difference between south India and
north India. You cannot compare education in Kerala and U.P. for
example.

So, practically, I suggest you prepare some rules for OLPC for India
(for yourself). For example :
For each XO deployed in south India, one (or two) should be deployed in north.
For each XO deployed in a city, one (or two) should be deployed in a rural area.
And somehow, 'we', the public, should be able to control that OLPC is
doing it right. (That is what I call transparency ! :-) )

I would be happy to know what others in the list think about this.
I think you definitely cannot trust politicians and managers and let
them deploy computers where they want, even if they finance them,
otherwise you will mis an harmonius development of the education
everywhere. Certainly backwards area would never be touched.

-marc-
http://www.OeuvreDesPains.org