[OLPC India] More than technology, one has to take on the logic of the decision-making process, I guess! FN Goa: Kids to go to school with laptops soon

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Sep 11 11:00:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया]
<fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> More than technology, one has to take on the logic of the
> decision-making process, I guess! FN
>
> Goa: Kids to go to school with laptops soon
> 10 Sep: Times of India. Kids in Goa could soon be going to school with
> laptops in hand with education minister Atanasio Monserrate announcing
> that 12,000 students will soon be given the machines costing about Rs
> 23,000 each. 168 words. Click here.
>
> http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Goa/Kids_to_go_to_school_with_laptops_soon/articleshow/3465072.cms
>
> --
> FN * Independent Journalist http://fn.goa-india.org
> Blog: http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com
> Tech links from South Asia: http://twitter.com/fn

From the article:

"Education department sources said the government pays about Rs 23,000
for a computer-printer set given under the cyberage scheme. With a tax
rebate, laptops can be procured for the same amount, the sources
said."

At 23,000 per student, that should get you 2.5 XOs per Goan Child :-)

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University