[OLPC India] Partnering with OLPC in India

Dev Mohanty devm at nepalwireless.net
Tue Sep 9 09:47:09 EDT 2008

Hey Marc/Sameer/ JVA

Satish and me we'd exchanged a couple of mails yesterday, wherein I'd
put forth my doubts regarding some of the stats that had been mentioned
in the mails. I'd raised some questions with regards to, what had been
planned as the way ahead and if things were feasible.. for deployments
of such magnitudes. I believe besides a couple of mails from Satish in
the recent past, most people are still unaware of how things are being
planned, and who the decision makers are.

Anyways below are some excerpts from my previous mails to him for
everyone's benefit.

Guess must say it's nice to see OLPC India getting to be a lot more
formal and making stead-fast progress on various fronts. Though I did
want to voice my opinion on the fact that you mention "Any organization
willing to support G1G1 in India must commit to have 100,000 XOs in
inventory for sales as requested by the G1G1 buyer. The other 100,000
will be distributed to needy children in regions selected by OLPC India."

If you happen to have done your homework correctly you would notice,
there has been plenty of debate on it in the past. Forget an
organization, no country has
"ordered and received" as many XOs, not even close to it. A few
countries pulled out of the OLPC pilots and moved to Intel Classmates or
other low-cost laptops for the very same purpose. Since the rather now
infamous statement from one gentleman about the OLPC initiative being
that.. "it's an educational project and not a laptop project" doesn't
seem to hold good anymore.

Have you got the stats on how far behind OLPC is on pending shipments or
if they've even figured out how to replace broken hardware, or are they
even thinking of tagging XO's anywhere close to the 100 USD figure
sometime in the recent future, which to me sounds awfully far-fetched
right now. Well, if it's all about the education, then I firmly believe
no number should not be small enough for a pilot. They'd missed their
mark on this before and various other manufactures seemed to have taken
a good advantage off it, and now you seem to be following suit. Would
suggest you re-think your strategies on that collaboration part.

Second mail excerpts:

Would it be possible to have a broader picture of how things that have
been planned, right from selection of schools.. to deployments,
monitoring of usage & progress reporting, networking and scalability.
Does OLPC India, plan to raise funds for all deployments from just
corporate houses, or is it willing to look for alternative sources from
donors such as ITU/WFP/Unicef/Read Canada, Save the Children/ World
Bank/ IT societies and foreign embassies and the likes.

How is the Govt planning to be involved, both the central and state
entities. Since the XO is rather looked as an enabler for better
education, are you also looking to tap into resources such as NCERT/CBSE
for educational material or online libraries? I believe there are quite
a few organizations like E-shiksha and others, that are already working
on FOSS education material, are they planned to be packaged with the
XO's. How do you plan on customization and localization from state to
state? Do you also plan to have an integrated large scale network for
sharing of resources and material.

I hope we get answers to question like these, before having to read them
on news online.

Cheers,
-D-