[OLPC India] Beginning a rural school experiment inspired by OLPC

Rakesh Biswas rakesh7biswas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 01:51:29 EST 2008

Thanks Edward, Saurabh and Subbu for your kind comments and encouragement.

To answer Edward's question first:

The village has electricity supplied for 2 to 4 hours a day, mostly
at night (which the people there reportedly utlize for TV viewing). I tried
out the BSNL EVDO data card internet connection on my friend's lap top and
it failed miserably on that particular day. However I can access the net
through airtel on my pda mobile phone through which I could access google
images during the course of my discussion with one of the teachers who had a
particular medical problem (to illustrate/show him how the anatomical area
of his disease looked like - just type planter fascitis in google images and
see the anatomical diagrams that can be very useful in helping explain to
patients).

I have presently engaged more with the teachers than with the
students and plan to gradually engage more with them once I get their
collected parent's life stories (and their parents through them). I also
plan to make home visits if necessary in as much non intrusive a manner as
possible. Right now the principal has given this as a Diwali homework and I
hope to see some preliminary results soon on my weekly visits.

Edward it would be great if we could still have a computer or two for the
school. Perhaps the internet may work after all through the data card and we
could keep it charged during the time of day electricity appears. More
importantly it will encourage the teachers further.

I have collaborated on similar conceptual models for health care delivery
with Intel Innovation center KL, Malaysia where I was teaching for the last
two years and presently am collaborating for a grant proposal with NDRC,
Ireland in designing a similar conceptual model. Do let me know if any of
you are interested in reading about those models(already published).

In the meantime I felt I needed to try this out on my own in a small manner
even if it may remain paper based and not exactly an electronic health
record at the moment. It would be great to hear from your friends in the GIS
community if they want to get involved.

rakesh