[OLPC India] [Server-devel] GPRS connectivity

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 1 00:32:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:13:24PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> It looks like someone has had success using wvdial.

Yes, wvdial is a configuration aid.  Underneath it depends on ppp, and
the ppp package already contains /usr/sbin/chat which can do the
necessary discussion with a "modem".  wvdial can be used to ease the
testing, then discarded in favour of just the ppp package.  Some modems
need to be told an APN, but some can store it from prior use.

> I wanted to use wvdial via bluetooth, but the XO kernel does not
> support Bluetooth, so I gave up :-)

Yes, you would need to cook another kernel.