[OLPC India] Alternitive Power for Developing Countries

Arjun Sarwal arjunsarwal at gmail.com
Thu May 8 02:31:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:24 PM, info at olpc-peru.info
<info at olpc-peru.info> wrote:

>  Hello Arjun et al,
>

> >* Cost of Alternators -- I agree they are expensive. Have you thought
> about taking car alternators?
>
> You need to choose those alternators that have low RPM (low Revolutions Per
> Minute).

But we can do gearing/reduction for alternators with high rpm. But I
would agree that low RPM alternators would of course be much easier.
However I haven't been able to find any such easily. Copying the India
list if people might have some suggestions

> >They give 12V and usually have built in
> mechanisms for cut-off when the battery is fully charged, and also
> would be easily available.
>
> Yes, easilty available. In Peru that means that, but it doesnt mean that
> they have a low cost. The most popular car here is the Korean "Tico". Is
> everywhere, but... unlike we are... there is such demand that the alternator
> (new one) cost US$300 each one.
>
> It is not possible to think in a solution based on "second hand"
> alternators... they work.. but how we will get 250,000 used alternators for
> the 250,000 XOs that will be deployed in Peru ? We need to develop
> prototype, pilots that can be "sourced" in a secure, stable, confident way.
> Wars have been lost due to the failure on the supplies chain.

I am thinking that cost factors might make it better to build a setup
that has an alternator to charge more than one laptops (say 5-10) at
one time. Agreed, the mechanical setup might be more elaborate but it
_might_ just work better.

I of course agree, that second hand alternators is not a good path to take.

> >In India I've found car alternators to cost
> ~$100. They give about 35A output.
>
> Maybe we will need to import them. But... who will finance this ? We can do
> the pilot/experiment/test/initial design. But... what then?
>
> >... I have come to realize
> that it is very difficult for a human to provide the mechanical power
> needed to charge an XO, whatever they may use - legs/hands etc. This
> was one of the reasons why we fundamentally wanted animals to drive
> our solution and not be human powered.
>
> That is because we are thinking in using ANY alternator. Normal car
> alternators (like a Toyota) need 3,000 RPM. Then you need to "pedal" (on the
> bike) very fast and very steady to reach those RPM that the alternator needs
> to start to generate energy. IF you use a LOW RMP alternator then you don't
> need so much mechanical movement. There are alternators (here in Peru) that
> works at very low RPM, just 200 RMP and they are generating huge energy,
> they are used for some mining equipment and they cost around US$800 each.
> So, technically is possible to "break" the RMP barrier, but then money is an
> "impossible" wall to climb.
>
> There are many answers to this dilemma:
> a) Modify a car alternator: add more magnets, add more "cooper" coiled
> parts. Then you will need less RPM. You will need to do this with almost ALL
> the car alternators that you can find. If you get an alternator that is on
> the 600 RMP then you are VERY NEAR to what any human been (big or small,
> child, woman, man) can generate.
> b) Build your own alternator: import the magnets from China, very very (and
> very) cheap. Locally (at least in my country) we can add the cooper coils
> bobins. We need a good design and some testing. Add some circuits (very
> cheap too, any medium skilled tech here can build one) for doing the cut
> off, the rectification, and other electronic gadgets.
>
> More: the bike/leg combination is not usefull because you move THE WHOLE
> LEG. Too much waste. Then you transfer all that spend energy to a small
> "flywheel" that transfer (by the chain) the movement to the rotor (that is
> in the back of the bike). You need to do this because you need BIG torque
> (initial force). In the case of the "charging batteries" there is not need
> to move the weight of any person so no such a need torque is needed. So, IF
> you use a spinning wheel (that is what I have in mind) you move just one
> foot and that is good enough to move a BIG wheel that will move the "rotor"
> on the alternator (or the pulley on the alternator). I have done the
> calculations and that "foot" movement can generate from 500 to 600 RPM with
> a very low and normal "pedaling" (treadling) rhythm. Since it is in the
> "border line" I think we would need to add some extra pulley system to add a
> little bit more RPMs.

I like the spinning wheel idea.

> [...]
> (about 60 dollars each). The device -commercially available as cell
> charger- is really small and can charge the XO without any problems. In a
> field test in Junin and Arahuay (Per?) the panels works great, in fact, in
> the recent event of FLISOL in Huancayo (Junin-Peru) for the OLPC project, we
> test the solution (commercial) between 3400 mts and 4500 mts (Ticlio).
> Antonio Ramirez, Carlos Reinoso and who writes now are working in our breaks
> on this task (reduce the cost for about 25 dollars each).
>

> 2008/5/5 Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>:
>

>  Hello Javier Rodriguez and, all the other folks on the peripherals list,
>
> After seeing the creative things Arjun Sarwal is doing with cow-power in
> India, I started thinking of other possibilities. I remembered my
> grandmother's old treadle sewing machine and how excited she was to have it
> electrified. Later, I saw many being used 35 years ago in regions in the
> Yucatan where there was no electricity.
>
> Here is a link to a picture of what they look like. It is the one on the
> left.
>

> http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade%2DLiterature/Sewing%2DMachines/
>
> Many of these machines still exist. i see them at estate auctions every
> summer in Montana. There must be thousands throughout the world. I have
> twice tried bidding on just the treadle mechanism of one on ebay. I lost out
> on the bidding for both, but have hopes of finding one in Montana this
> summer.
>
> When I get one, I intend to try to set it up as a combination desk/power
> source to run an XO. If it works and doesn't cost too much to set up, it
> might be something that could be replicated all over the world where these
> old machines still exist...some probably still being used without
> electricity.
>
> Javier, have you seen any of these machines in rural Peru? Are they still
> being used to sew? Would there be a need to try to design it to continue to
> be used as a sewing machine but to generate power at the same time?
>
> It might also be possible to manufacture a similar mechanism, at a modest
> cost. But, the idea of recycling the old ones has a lot of appeal. I was
> also wondering if an old automobile generator could be adapted to work with
> it. Perhaps it would require too much torque to work.
>
> It may be just a crazy idea, but if cow-power works, maybe this will too.
> If and when I do this project, I will probably need some advice from you
> folks. Any suggestions for starters?
>
> Caryl
>
> BTW, Could AJ's Cow-power generator be adapted to run on Llama power? How
> about donkey power? Goat power?

>  --

> Alfonso de la Guarda
> COS
> www.cos-la.org
> www.delaguarda.info
> Telef. 97550914
>

> End of Peripherals Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3

Arjun Sarwal
http://dev.laptop.org/~arjs