[OLPC India] 60 XO's ???

amit gogna amitg at laptop.org
Sat Mar 1 00:12:43 EST 2008

Hi All,

  Here are some much required clarity :-

Reliance Communications has taken a startup iniitiative by the means of
Digital Bridge Foundation to take the OLPC project all across country.

 I feel OLPC India and Reliance would benefit from more transparency.
  The current situation is dark, as Joshua said. For example : Is there
  an official society called "OLPC India" ?

There is no such official society , I would consider all of us a part of
OLPC INDIA working in various dimensions for the success of the project in
India

Where is it located and who  are the members ? Is there a phone number to
contact the society ?

Well I have a team of seven members for co-ordination , maintenance,
development of various OLPC  initiatives . I will get you all introduced to
them . May be we can all plan for a VIDEO CONFERENCE and those all
interested can join in or if not VIDEO surely an audio can be done .It would
be great for all of us to be together and have the much required discussion.
Let me know the feasibility for all , so that I do the required arrangment
and conference joining details.

You  can call me anytime at  09324171112 for any clarification.

How is Reliance (private company) involved in this ?

Reliance Communications is involved for co-ordinating and providing the much
required support to any individual or organizations wanting to take up OLPC
project.  We are totally dedicated working transparently for the taking the
project on ground in various needed places .

If Reliance imported a lot of XO, what do they want to do with them ?

Reliance Communications has imported laptops on the requests of various
organizations and individuals wanting to purchase the laptops. Thus , once
they reach reliance office , they would be directed to respective places.
But I believe just directing the laptops to the required place wouldnt help
much , so there would be need to work on logistics. This could include
forming local maintenance communities giving them the much required training
, getting the people from educational background involved for eg
organizations like teachers foundation based in Bangalore have shown
interest and willing to work with all of us  (OLPC INDIA) so that we have
better understanding of the whole system, localization , working on
educational content, also on Freeman's visit we were discussing on figuring
out ways to make internet available in remote areas etc.

If distribution is   planned, how are the benefiting societies selected ?

I guess answer to above question answers this.

  The feeling we have here is that Reliance is distributing to   "friends",
OLPC India being some kind of a "branch" of Reliance.

I think for Reliance ADA anyone who wants to take up this initiative
(interms of buying laptops ) is a friend. So Reliance ADA with OLPC INDIA
community would provide much required support in terms of making laptops
available and providing support for the deployment of the lap-tops in all
respects technical and educational.

 I hope you will come with some explanations and make this action more
  transparent.

I have tried my best to come with some explanation as above. Let me know if
any details is missing.

So in my next mail as soon as it is clear to me completely , I would let you
all know where the current laptops directed and who are the organizations
purchasing it.

Also I'm on my way to order the next lot so let us spread the word and if
any individual or organization interested in terms of taking this initiative
,can give in there number so that we get a good no. laptops this time.

Amit