[OLPC India] Meerut experiment and some queries

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 23:37:01 EDT 2008

Replies on-line :-

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Arjun Sarwal <arjun at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Shirish

Hi Arjun,
 Thanx for getting back so quickly.

<snipped>

> It has  a 1GB Nand Flash. There is no hdd to avoid having moving parts
> inside (to keep it robust)

right, and while there are reportedly issues with flash over extended
period of time so dunno. (Please see slashdot and couple of other
sites which have raised this issue in past, although not specifically
for the OLPC)

> The USB is  USB 2.0.

That's cool though.
>> 2. Using such a system has anyone at anytime used the XO to run sugar
>> as well as Debian/Ubuntu and has put a howto of the same on the wiki.
>> I'm sure somebody may have tried. If somebody has a link feel free to
>> add the same.
>>
>> 3. Is the Wireless mesh networking/wi-fi mesh and USB-Ethernet on the
>> go different hardware and follow different paths? If so, couldn't they
>> be combined to give better bandwidth? There are applications in
>> GNU/Linux IIRC which allow you to do this.
>>
> (Sorry I don't know of the above two points)

There are both howtos to run Debian as well as Ubuntu but at different places.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/debian-on-olpc-xo-1/

http://wiki.debian.org/howto_debian_olpc

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Installing_Debian_as_an_upgrade

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ubuntu_On_OLPC_XO

If all the information could be in one place it would make things easier.

>> 4. The XO has GPS . Couldn't it be used to plot places and things for
>> like openlayers. Not for students but for teenagers and older.
>>

> The XO doesn't have GPS. But it has 3 USB ports through which any
> commercially available GPS can be connected.

I stand corrected, this entry in the wiki talks about it .
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/GPS

>> 5. Adobe-flash :- While I see you guys have used gnash why not also use swfdec?
>> swfdec is also blessed by GNOME as well.
>>
>> Another thing didn't adobe release quite some documentation about its
>> format and stuff couple of months ago? Also isn't it now an ISO
>> standard. The wordings in the wiki for Adobe flash needs to go a bit
>> of change as well as look for free flash implementations.
>>

> AFAIK Adobe only opened up  specifications to some of its formats.

Right, it was PDF which got the ISO certification. Sorry.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/02/pdf.gets.iso.certification/

>> That's all for now, Any and all answers appreciated.
>> --
>
> I've answered as much as I knew.

> regards
> Arjun

Thank you for taking the effort.

--
 Regards,
 Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17