[OLPC India] laptops arrive in Nashik, Maharashtra

Marc Valentin mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org
Tue Jul 8 17:57:29 EDT 2008

Hi,
I reorganized the "More Deployments" list on the page :
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India
I also added the Auroville pilot to the list, moving the project
description to a new page (it was at the bottom in the software
project list, not really the right place).
So Joshua, I invite you to add all the informations and experiences
you want to share on "your" project page :
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Auroville
For you information, we have 14 XO at the moment in our school and
soon it will be 34. We use them in the school but we don't plan any
child "ownership", though times to times children will be allowed to
take them home. At least at the beginning, we don't plan to use them
to teach common things like english or geography but more computer and
logic topics. We will start with Logo and basic computer manipulation
(we bought also enough mice).
Several classes will use the XO but we added a sticker with a number
on each XO so that, if possible, the same child can always use the
same computer. We want to make them feel "responsable" of this
expensive piece of hardware.
Now we are just at the start of something. Our main concerns are
teachers interest and training and also how it can fit in the
curriculum. Saint-Anthony School is an english medium school, at the
end of class 10 the children will go for CBSE exam and, as far as I
know, the computer part of this exam is entirely focused on MSWindows
and MSOffice. If things don't change, I think we will have after a few
years to acquire new computers or install MSWindows on the XO because,
XO are good for education but they are not good to prepare to the CBSE
computer exam...
-marc-
Oeuvre des pains asbl
http://www.OeuvreDesPains.org