[OLPC India] HCL MiLeap = Intel Classmate ?

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Wed Jan 16 20:03:27 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:16:15AM +0100, Marc Valentin wrote:
> With Asus launching the EeePC and Intel/HCL the Classmate/Mileap both
> in India this month. What is the future for OLPC in India ?

Classmate is more expensive, consumes 10 times the power, has 1/3 the
wifi range, and can't be used outside. Also, the Classmate doesn't use
neighboring laptops to extend the reach of the internet via hopping
(mesh-networking) like the XO does. So not only is the XO cheaper than
the Classmate, the XO requires less infrastructre expenditure for
electricity and for internet access. In Peru we can run off of solar
during the day and handcrank at night for an additional $25 or so per
student – this is one-time expense – the solar panel and the crank will
last 10 or perhaps 20 years. Just try running electricity cables up and
down the Peruvian Andes for that cost while making sure it's
environmentally clean energy. The Classmate isn't as durable as the XO,
and its screen is about 30% smaller, the batteries are the type that can
explode and only last 1-2 years and can't be removed by the user and
harm the environment. The batteries are expensive to replace: $30-40 per
replacement. The XO batteries last for 5 years and cost less than $10 to
replace. Finally, the XO is the greenest laptop ever made, the Classmate
isn't – this matters a great deal when one proposes to put millions of
them in the developing world.

Also see:

http://etech.eweek.com/content/desktops_and_notebooks/classmate_pc_useful_but_not_in_xos_class.html