[OLPC India] XO and Reliance NetConnect

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:51:38 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 7:22 PM, Marc Valentin <mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I received my first XO a few days ago but so far I didn't test it
> much. One reason for that : I have a router (Belkin Pre-n) and, when
> running, the XO is completely messing up the router. Even computers
> connected with a cable to the router have problems, my all local
> network is broken apart temporarily when the XO is on. Hopefully,
> techs at OLPC will find a solution...
>
> Do you know if the XO can connect to internet with the Reliance
> Netconnect service (for example with their new MG880 USB Modem) ? Is
> it necessary to install some software ?
> If one laptop can connect to internet with this system, is this laptop
> capable of sharing the connection with the other XOs around ?
> I try to understand if a router is absolutely necessary to get
> internet connection. Times to times only there is electricity in our
> project area and I don't know of any battery powered router.

I'm not familiar with the MG880 modem. However, you can try installing
wvdial (using the command yum install wvdial) . Once wvdial is
installed, you can use wvdialconf to configure the modem. If it
manages to configure the modem, you can connect - I believe the number
to dial for Reliance would be #777 and the username and password is
the phone number (I'm not sure what it will be in case of a USB
modem).

Warm regards,
Sayamindu

--