[OLPC India] visit

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Fri Feb 29 08:50:26 EST 2008

You can type with Hindi characters (as of recent builds, the Lohit
fonts are loaded by default). Also the new laptops (as opposed to beta
units) that are coming to India this week have Devanagri keyboards.
Anyone interested in helping me design keyboards for the other
language groups in the sub-continent, please let me know.

regards.

-walter

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Marc Valentin
<mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Hemant Goyal <goyal.hemant at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  > > I think the opportunity is to have more language teaching
>  > > software built in.  From what I saw kids could easily learn
>  > > to open and use a particular application, and if that app had
>  > > videos, music, and speech and simple fun tests - kids could
>  > > learn to use it pretty quickly.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > If done right, the XO could become the English teacher in
>  > > non-english public schools.
>  >
>  > Absolutely :) Not only English but many many more languages :).
>  >
>  > We are working on integrating speech synthesis in the XO :)
>  > [http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Screen_Reader,
>  > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Speech_synthesis]. There are tasks we need
>  > assistance with(primarily with packaging software), if you are interested in
>  > helping out please contact me.
>  >
>  > Hemant
>  >

>  I added the program "Speak-4.xo" (It is speech synthesis, right ?)
>  They like it very much !
>  Among the languages available in "Speak", I saw "Hindi". It would be
>  nice to be able to type with Hindi characters...

Walter Bender
One Laptop per Child
http://laptop.org