[OLPC India] Thanks for Khairat visit

Pari parimalai at niit.com
Wed Feb 27 00:43:32 EST 2008

Hi

Some of us had a chance to visit the project at Khairat.  Thanks Amit and
Mukesh, for making this possible!  It's always a fabulous learning
experience to be with rural Indian children.

Here's just one striking finding I'd like to share on this list -  the
school teacher, in this single room, single teacher, multigrade rural
school, reports not a single hardware or software breakdown Sept 2007-Feb
2008 in any of the 22 XOs given to the children.  As of now, this is not
trivial information about a children's machine in tropical, dusty
environments and a project that hopes for large scale implementation.  (Ps:
the children reportedly carry the XOs back and forth from school to home
everyday and continue chat with each other from home over the mesh network).

There seem to be, to my mind, a number of other challenges to the project -
pedagogical, social, technical, and administrative.  I will be curious to
know the findings from Reliance/OLPC as they become available.

regards,

Parimala Inamdar

Cell: 9820314308

DISCLAIMER

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply email and then destroy the message. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to official business of the company shall be understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT Ltd. or NIIT Technologies Ltd. Any information contained in this email, when addressed to Clients is subject to the terms and conditions in governing client contract.