[OLPC India] Launch of OLPC India Student Chapter!

Gaurav Chachra gaurav.ssc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 04:26:10 EDT 2008

Hello Everybody!

I am Gaurav Chachra, an engineering student of Panjab University,
Chandigarh. On 5th Feb 2008, our team launched the OLPC India Student
Chapter.
After about 2 and a half months of formation of our organization, this is
our first post at India mailing list. Such a delay because we wanted to make
a strong base before we expanded our operations.

The student chapter has two objectives:

1. To spread awareness about OLPC in India and to make Indian government
realize the importance of OLPC project in India.
2. To develop localized content for the XO according to the Indian needs &
syllabus.

Our team has delivered presentations about OLPC at Panjab University (5th
Feb), Chandigarh Science Congress (14th March) & IIT Roorkee (28th March).

Our page on OLPC wiki is:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India_Student_Chapter

Elaborating about both of our objectives, firstly the content development:

OISC is working on developing content for the XO keeping in mind the
prescibed syllabus of NCERT. The main aim of developing content is to give a
feel of how OLPC project can help transforming the education system in
India. We want to show how easily can a kid learn concepts of any field, may
it be science or maths, when interactive learning tools are offered.

We've chosen the eToys (inbuild in XO) as the main platform for developing
content. Also, we've made a video tutorial to teach basics of eToys (for
those interested in developing content) and completed a sample eToys
project.

Visit OISC Tasks <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OISC_Tasks> (for various tasks
we're working on)
Visit OISC Projects <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OISC_Projects> (for the
sample eToys project)

As far as our team's other wing is concerned, that is to spread awareness,
we are planning to make presentations about OLPC in various universities,
schools and colleges. We've already delivered a few presentations as I
mentioned above. In this way, we hope to grow our team and do more
innovative work.

I will be regularly posting about the developments at our end.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Gaurav Chachra