[OLPC India] Disappointed in the progress being made in India

Asko Kauppi askok at dnainternet.net
Sat Oct 27 15:46:12 EDT 2007

As much as I do understand about the Indian way, it's more of a grass
roots "things just work among the chaos" than of organized
governmental control. This is just a statement, or an observation and
one of the reasons I like India very much.

At this stage for OLPC, it's clearly easier to get governments s.a.
Libya involved where governmental control is stronger. Also, India
itself is too big; states of it should be regarded individually quite
the same as European Union states are. They differ widely.

My point is optimistic about the long term success of OLPC approach
also in India. The best way to prove is simply to have start cells,
schools adopting the technique and way of thinking, then proceed from
these. Maybe the local communications companies (Airtel etc.) could
be involved as sponsors, to get the schools connected to Internet.

It would maybe be better for such cells to be in the villages rather
than in big cities. This would also bypass the unfruitful "it's not a
real PC"  debate which I think any current Indian IT person would
happily bring up. To me, India seems very very very Windows
oriented. :)  For now.

- asko

Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया]