[OLPC India] Devanagari Effort

Manusheel Gupta manu at laptop.org
Sun Oct 14 15:50:50 EDT 2007

Sayamindu/Joshua,

We appreciate your suggestions/feedback.

We are in the process of taking a decision to figure out the best-fit
solution to position characters on the keycaps.

There are several classes of choices to make:

(A) Keep everything aligned horizontally and vertically or introduce an
offset that will allow for larger glyphs.

(B) Always vertically align to the horizontal stroke of the character,
leaving space above the stroke for those characters that have marks
     above or make a slight modification by sliding the character up
vertically when there is no mark, again making it possible to use larger
     glyphs.

Choices in class B sounds intriguing. But, before we take any decision, we
wish to analyze it by taking almost all possible scenarios into account.

Pointers from your side on this area of concern will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Manu

 Manusheel Gupta
Technical Consultant/Advisor