[OLPC India] Devanagari Effort

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Sun Oct 14 12:08:58 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 12:42:50PM +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> The most common keyboard layout for Devangari is Inscript, something
> standardised by the DOE, government of India in 1986.

> Apart from Inscript, for users who are accustomed to QWERTY, there is a
> layout called Bolnagri, which follows a semi phonetic scheme (ie,
> Devanagari alphabets are mapped to keys which have similar sounding
> mappings in QWERTY as well. eg: क (ka) is mapped to 'k', and so on).

I learned Inscript and prefer it because it seems more predictable than
a phonetic layout. Because of the mismatch between English and
Devanagari, you can't easily predict what is phonetic according to the
designer of the phonetic layout. However, most of the Indians I've met
(I am American) find the phonetic scheme easier to learn.

I vote for using Inscript on the keyboard. Even though the learning
curve is a bit steeper, it's a more logical layout than any phonetic
layout.

--
Make April 15 just another day, visit http://fairtax.org