[OLPC India] OLPC XO vs. Asus Eee PC 701

Marc Valentin mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org
Wed Nov 28 16:01:03 EST 2007

On 11/28/07, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Marc Valentin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Today, I received the Asus Eee I ordered some time ago. I am already
> > impressed by the machine. The software didn't include a "logo" program
> > but I was able to add kturtle with no problem. So far so good, if I
> > get the XO before the end of the year maybe I will consider it too but
> > at the moment I feel the Asus Eee is the right machine for our school.
> > I received also today an email from Asus India : the Eee PC will be
> > available in India in January.
> > For those who want to compare the XO and the Eee PC, here is a test :
> > http://laptopmag.com/Features/OLPC-XO-vs-Asus-Eee-PC-701.htm
> > Their conclusion : "This contest was fairly close, but we feel that
> > even though its goals are much more limited in scope, the Eee PC 701
> > accomplishes them more fully than the XO, as its interface and
> > applications are much more intuitive.
>
> Intuitiveness depends on the user. According to the article, especially
> the learning curve part, the intuitiveness would be Michael A.
> Prospero's, the author of the article. Their criticism is that kids
> cannot figure out how to open it. Well, my two year old can open the
> laptop, power it on and work the mouse pad. She has never used a laptop
> before. It took her a whole of five minutes of observation to figure
> that one out.

I agree with that. I don't know about the computer interface but for
the physical part it is a matter of showing how to do things. But
still this is an important aspect. I suppose your daughter is not
living in India, there is a big difference between children living in
western countries and those living in India. In India, there are not
so many things they can play with. They don't have toys for example,
the parents living in small places have also the basic needed things.
So they have more problems to deal with technological devices.

> > Of course, the Eee PC 701 also
> > costs about $200 more, but it's well worth the premium."
> >
> Again, well worth for Michael A. Prospero. Perhaps your school kids will
> disagree?

I don't think asking the children which computer they prefer would be
a good idea. It is adding to the confusion. Actually when you compare
the specs, the Eee PC looks more interesting. Nobody knows also what
is going to happen with the Sugar interface in the future, with the
Eee PC you can install any linux distribution and even Windows or Mac
OS.

> > Actually, as an NGO, the only possibility we have to buy the XO is
> > through the G1G1 program, so the price is the same as the Eee PC :
> > $400. For 100 XO, the price is $299 with GiveMany but which indian
> > school is ready to buy 100 laptops ???
>
> So, if the price is the same for buying EEE or XO in quantities < 100,
> the choice shouldn't be price dependent, right?

Well, if you see the practical aspect, the XO is weak. To buy < 100
you have to go for G1G1. Means you have to have an physical address in
the USA, you have to arrange and pay UPS postage and indian custom
fees (high !). Once you have the computers in India, where do you go
for support ? This is actually the worst aspect of XO. You can buy Eee
PC in India and Asus has offices and resellers to provide support.

> > Also, most of the teachers are used to MS Windows, I feel it will be
> > easier for them to adapt to the Eee Pc than to the XO.
> >
> There you go. Your approach is teacher centric. That seems to be the
> problem with most of what I read about such endeavors. Constructivist
> learning is clearly student-centric. Whether it is Windows or the Mac,
> the approach is to build a platform for grown-ups and then adapt it for
> kids. After all, the hope is that they will eventually grow into "grown
> ups" and then be comfortable with Windows or a Mac. Get them while they
> are young! If that's the case, then why do we bother with children's
> clothes, for instance? Just get them wear grown up pants and shirts and
> roll up the sleeves. They will eventually grow into them so ten years
> from now!

That is not what I meant... Children cannot learn by themselves. They
need teachers. Trying to impose a technology to the teachers against
their will is a very bad idea. And as I see it, teachers in India are
easily lost when you come "out of the book". So it is important to be
sure they are going to use the computers and not keep them in the
cupboard...

-marc valentin-
http://www.OeuvreDesPains.org