[OLPC India] roadmap for pilots?

Manusheel Gupta manu at laptop.org
Wed Nov 28 12:16:13 EST 2007

Sammer,

Thanks for writing to us.

You wrote:

> The India list has been a bit silent. I was wondering if we could get an
> update on where we are in terms of pilots.

 Please have a look at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Khairat_Today for recent
updates on the pilot project in Khairat School. The Mumbai team frequently
provides update about the progress in pilot project at this link.

You might be interested in watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sr2t-JVY0 .

> Are there any plans to
> conduct further pilots in India?

There are certain non-profit organizations which are in the process of
placing orders for their schools in India. So, we need to decide whether we
need to pilot in other schools in India. Our pilot project at Khairat school
will continue with the support of our Mumbai team.

We are looking forward to celebrate OLPC-India Day in the near future. We
will invite organizations who have expressed interest to work with us, and
will discuss our plans for the coming year. I'll also post about it here.

>  I am also a bit curious about what the
> pilots entail. Are there any documents that list out the objectives of a
> pilot study?

A pilot project is always a big source of learning for us. There are three
areas where we focus strongly:

Educational Aspect: We have been learning regular lessons on Constructionism
Vs Instructionism. A pilot project provides us with a first- hand experience
on how children learn learning by interacting with the XO.

Technical Issues: Analyzing the technical competence of the XO when it is
used in the most remote areas has always been a fulfiling experience for
us. A number of technical issues have been reported, and fixed during
the process of conducting the pilot project in Khairat School.

Source of Innovation: While conducting a pilot project, we are able to learn
and generate new ideas, which map well with the rural scenario.

Regards,
Manu

 Manusheel Gupta
Technical Consultant/Advisor