[OLPC India] OLPC XO vs. Asus Eee PC 701

Marc Valentin mvalentin at oeuvredespains.org
Wed Nov 28 12:00:43 EST 2007

Hi,
Today, I received the Asus Eee I ordered some time ago. I am already
impressed by the machine. The software didn't include a "logo" program
but I was able to add kturtle with no problem. So far so good, if I
get the XO before the end of the year maybe I will consider it too but
at the moment I feel the Asus Eee is the right machine for our school.
I received also today an email from Asus India : the Eee PC will be
available in India in January.
For those who want to compare the XO and the Eee PC, here is a test :
http://laptopmag.com/Features/OLPC-XO-vs-Asus-Eee-PC-701.htm
Their conclusion : "This contest was fairly close, but we feel that
even though its goals are much more limited in scope, the Eee PC 701
accomplishes them more fully than the XO, as its interface and
applications are much more intuitive. Of course, the Eee PC 701 also
costs about $200 more, but it's well worth the premium."
Actually, as an NGO, the only possibility we have to buy the XO is
through the G1G1 program, so the price is the same as the Eee PC :
$400. For 100 XO, the price is $299 with GiveMany but which indian
school is ready to buy 100 laptops ???
Also, most of the teachers are used to MS Windows, I feel it will be
easier for them to adapt to the Eee Pc than to the XO.
-marc valentin-
http://www.OeuvreDesPains.org