[OLPC India] xbook : pdf viewer in $100 laptop

manusheel gupta manusheel.gupta at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 02:27:10 EDT 2006

Hi friends .
The concept of xbook which is a pdf viewer in $100 laptop  has  been build
successfully .
 It ran successfully on 64 bit compilers in Sugar environment on August 14
and now features are being added to it at this juncture .
I know you might be wondering as to how we got the things running in a Sugar
environment and too in a 64 bit compiler .
In this regard , I would like to thank Marco Presenti Gritti who wrote
Evince , Walter Bender , President, OLPC Inc for his constant support and
motivation and Matthew Alum who wrote matcbox for telling me a way to make
the requirements of matchbox work in a 64 bit compiler ( matchbox has been
designed according to 32 bit compilers) .

Here are some features which we are adding right now . If you have any ideas
regarding features in apart to the list mentioned below , you are most
welcome to tell us through the mailing list or you could mail me at
manu at laptop.org .If you have any interesting design related ideas , color
combinations to be used on UI , you could write about it too .

Here are some features which we are adding at this juncture :
a) Display in a page wise as well as continous format .

b) Zoom in / out

c) Hyperlink

d) Select ,copy ,paste

e) We are also thinking of adding a feature related to page width .

The pdf viewer is an important feature in a $100 laptop and it would be
great if you could mail your ideas soon .

Thanks,
Manu