[Http-crcsync] Progress on implementing CRCSync client logic to base encoding on 'similar' pages in the cache

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 11:52:53 EDT 2010

Hi Alex,

good progress!

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Alex Wulms <alex.wulms at scarlet.be> wrote:
> Next step is that I must implement the logic to maintain the memory
> structure for each new page retrieved (like said above, at the moment it is
> only initialized/loaded on startup). Once that is done I'll check-in the
> changes into the GIT repository.

One tricky aspect is that (AFAIK) apache processes don't share memory
(with few exceptions, and those are very expensive
performance-wise...).

My humble understanding is that apache is fast because it avoids
shared-memory segments that would need locking semantics to update --
contention around the locks is usually the problem.

Can we design a scheme to store that info in the filesystem, in a way
that doesn't require locking (using posix 'mv' atomicity...)? It could
be on a designated directory that we can then setup as a tmpfs...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions