[Http-crcsync] General comments on crcsync document

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Jul 14 07:46:13 EDT 2009

On 13/07/09 10:11, Patrick McManus wrote:
> So yes, if you use 32 bits and repeat that process for 40 blocks in a
> transaction and then have several dozen million transactions the odds
> are good that one person will have the sha-256 invalidate their
> transaction and have to repeat what was a stateless non reliable
> transaction (i.e. HTTP) anyhow. That sounds ok to me all things
> considered.

Yes - if the only downside of a shorter hash is a slightly increased
possibility of having to repeat the transaction, then it's definitely a
win. If I understand (and I may not), going from 60-ish bits to 32 bits
surely lets you fit twice as many hashes into our magic 2500 bytes?
That's got to be an enormous gain.

Gerv