[Http-crcsync] http-sync standard

Toby Collett thjc at plan9.net.nz
Mon Apr 6 02:07:18 EDT 2009

Hi,
I hadn't seen that RFC, should be very informative.

> How do you imagine that this hash would be used?
I would see this as a relatively rare case, but with careful design in the
encoding you get it for close to free. With the other discussions since I
wrote the first draft, if the hashes include the trailing data in the file,
then we dont actually need to send an extra hash, and so as long as we allow
for byte deltas instead of block in the response then smart servers could
make use of this.

Slashdot is probably a bad example for most of this, as they seem to care
very little about cachability (they mark their pages as private even). But
some sort of news site, if they chose to add the support on the server side
could pre compute the deltas for a set of response pages when new data is
uploaded. Again the rare case, but at a very small cost...

I will get the spec into a code repo somewhere and get another version out
in the next couple of days.

Toby

--
This email is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged
and/or confidential information