[Http-crcsync] Apache proxy CRCsync & mozilla gsoc project?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 04:05:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> Yep, any hash can have collisions.
>
> It's not one or two hashes, it's the number of bits.
>
>> IOWs, a blind, unchecked "delete-last-user" action in a webapp is a
>> bug in the webapp. It is ok to fail, as long as the retry will use a
>> different seed...
>
> Yes, but it changes the balance; I assumed that 1 in 1000 was a fair failure
> rate.  If we want one in a million, we need more hash bits :)

Now, the client has the content, and knows its length. Maybe this is
an argument to make the hash length a function of the size of the
cached content on the client ?

The size of the cached version is a hint of what to expect, so it's
justifiable to send a longer fingerprint...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions