[Health] Possible project

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jun 15 15:34:48 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Khazanova, Yekaterina (khazanys)
<khazanys at mail.uc.edu> wrote:
> Dear members,
> I am thinking of implementing a project which might be related to
> computers, health, and education. I would like your opinion on how realistic
> this would be and whether someone has done a similar project before.
> My idea is that many people in developing nations do not have access to
> education and medicine, but if there was a program such as One Laptop per
> Child which would give them a computer with a program on there which might
> teach them basic medical skills and maybe have a diagnosis program where
> they enter symptoms and get the most likely causes and remedies. That way,
> there would be more people capable of handling a medical emergency and lives
> might be saved. It would also be good if there was a small medical kit to go
> with the computer. Also, maybe it could teach others things as well. Of
> course, I have no idea where I would get the funding or medical supplies,
> but I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.,
>
> Kate Khazanova

Hi Yekaterina,

I am working with a group from WiRED International in the San
Francisco Bay Area. They have content available on a USB stick that
they are piloting in Kenya. We are working on making that available in
some online/offline format on the OLPC XO-1 and 1.5 platforms.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WiRED-CHI

Here's a sample of one of their modules:
http://www.itnhealth.net/CHIC2/presentations/50/player.html

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems