[Health] McMaster Global Health and OLPC

Michael Mak makamizz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 08:27:32 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael Mak and I am a third year BHSc student, Global Health
Specialization at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada.

There is a growing interest from McMaster BHSc, Global Health Specialization
in purchasing XO laptops to use and distribute for different NGOs that
student join from the specialization.  With more attention driven to OLPC
after my trip to Canada's North and another student's Masters thesis on OLPC
in Ghana, my facilitator would like me to write a proposal to my assistant
dean to spend the necessary $25 000 to purchase 100 laptops for next year's
cohort.  Because that is quite a sum, I would love any help I can get in
providing a convincing argument on the importance of getting the XOs in
global health and development.  The health component and how the XO can be
used for health practices (such as education, or even for diagnostic and/or
electronic medical records) is an extremely vital one, especially since we
are a health science discipline.

Here are some points that I will need help and more information on:

* Why the XO should be purchased (for ex. Education, health, etc)
* How the XO can be used in a clinical/health care setting (very important!)
in a remote/rural environment
* Support for the XO laptop and training (training for the students which I
can help with) and technical support
* Hopefully a long-term partnership with OLPC

Thanks so much everyone, I look forward to hearing your responses on the
matter.

Michael Mak
BHSc III, Global Health Specialization
Keewaytinook Okimakanak / K-NET Services
OLPC Intern