[Health] OLPC Health Projects

Niels Olson niels.olson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:59:15 EDT 2009

Hello, I hope Kirsten will be able to contribute her lessons learned,
but just wanted to report that I did finally follow through on a
under Ubuntu (Sara King's report from her Kenya trip helped keep that
on my to-do list)

Ubuntu instructions
-- http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4053.0%3Bwap2
-- this is the key bit, google for this URL to find other mentions of
this build: http://mars.illtel.denver.co.us/~abelits/software/olpc/

OpenMRS instructions (used a smattering of stuff from each)
-- http://openmrs.org/wiki/Step-by-Step_Installation_Guide_for_Ubuntu_8.10_for_Developers
-- http://openmrs.org/wiki/Installation_Guide_for_Ubuntu
-- http://forum.openmrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=208
-- http://openmrs.org/wiki/Overriding_OpenMRS_Default_Properties

OpenMRS modules
-- http://modules.openmrs.org/modules/list.jsp

really, if you download OpenMRS from SVN and follow the instructions
it should build for Red Hat based distros, like OLPC's Sugar, as well
(assuming you install all the Java stuf and google around to make sure
you have all the correct paths and such for Red Hat)

If your primary goal is a stand-alone medical record system, the OLPC
XO seems to be a little slow to run the OpenMRS java-based server and
a memory-heavy graphical client like firefox on the same machine
(here's a snapshot load average with just the server running and
occasional queries: 6.88, 6.68, 5.47). Now that I've got OpenMRS up
and running though, I'll probably move the server to a faster ubuntu
machine and start getting into the weeds some more. I think OpenMRS
could definitely run well as a stand-alone solution on a more powerful
netbook, and maybe still on the XO if only I can figure out how to get
X11 out of the picture.

Niels Olson
niels.olson at gmail.com
h/c: (410) 212-1281
http://nielsolson.us

This message may contain private information for persons named above.
Please don't share that information with anyone without a need to
know. If you received confidential information without a PGP wrapper,
assume it was compromised, delete it, tell the sender, and try to tell
the victim. Please don't send someone else's private information if
you're not reasonably certain the recipient has a need to know and
that the message will be kept private. Plain email is not private. In
some cases, such as health information protected under the US HIPAA
law or information protected under the US Privacy Act, plain email may
be illegal. If you must relate a person's identity to their private
information in email, use Hushmail or insist your recipients provide
you their PGP public key. My public key is here:
http://nielsolson.us/contact.html.