[Health] Threads from VistA and OpenMRS folks -- OpenMRS for villages. VistA for major centers.

Niels Olson niels.olson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 12:55:33 EDT 2008

Below are a few messages from folks. Here's what I know about the authors:

===========
Paul Biondich
===========
Physician and OpenMRS developer, got some of his start with Prof.
William Tierney at IUPUI (the Indiana project was nominated for the
Nobel Peace Prize in 2007). Like I said in previous post, OpenMRS also
has a pico interface (ie, very easy on memory and processor).
Apparently the recent OpenMRS implementers conference in South Africa
attracted 350-400 attendees, so my sense is there's more experience in
the villages than one might think.

http://openmrs.org/wiki/User:Paul

==============
Nancy Anthracite
==============
the widow of a Navy physician and a big booster for Vista. Sent me
directions for running VistA on Ubuntu.

http://opensourcevista.net:8888/NancysVistAServer/WVEHR-VOE1.0-Install/

==========
Fred Trotter
==========
has spoken at Black Hat and is a self-aligned booster for FOSS
healthcare software.

http://www.fredtrotter.com/

==============
My understanding
==============
a number of VistA implementations are being developed, and there are
at least suggestions of a non-MUMPS database for some of them; my
sense is a non-MUMPS VistA is a desirable goal.

Keep in mind, many VistA boosters are also VA employees who like their
jobs. Which is fine. More power to them. But my impression is that
MUMPS really is a weak link compared to modern databases, like
PostrgreSQL. The fact that few people use MUMPS seems like it would be
a challenge to wide deployment, and any village-level deployment is a
wide deployment scenario, even if it's just one village.

In any case, even VistA boosters seem to agree that, at the village
level, OpenMRS is the way to go. And, again, Paul developed OpenMRS
*for African villages*

niels