[Health] Fwd: Health OLPC - Congo - eeeBuntu

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 18:27:15 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Niels Olson <niels.olson at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello, we are looking at a similar project in losho kenya. openmrs was
> designed expressly for this. developer said ther is a pico interface.
> am working w/ Masai America Assn. If you choose olpc, seems memory
> reqt will mandate external storage, maybe even running os from thumb
> drive or sd card. membrane keyboard is also a concern.

Asante has a Maasai connection with a chief who is trying to put an
end to female genital mutilation. He is also interested in getting
Sugar and educational content in the Maa language in addition to
English and Kikuyu. Earth Treasury is talking with them about OLPCs
for education, health, and agriculture.

> however, seems there is lots of room to dual use machines as NGOs and
> villages focus on both.
>
> in losho power is solar and most peole have cell phones. begs for wan
> card, yes? nearest internet is 5 hrs by bus. village industry is
> cattle.

How far by line of sight? That's mostly flat open country. Some of the
wireless groups around the Bay Area would be interested in setting up
point-to-point links.

> [...]
>> is, however, a lot of interest in using the XO for health
>> applications. You will want to visit this page on our wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health<https://email.mc.vanderbilt.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health>
>>
>> And you will want to sign up on the health mailing list where you can
>> discuss your ideas with others:

>>  Richard Aries, MSN, RN, BS, EMT
>> *Master of Science in Nursing (Nursing Informatics)*
>>
>> VandyMSN.blogspot.com
>> For more information about the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
>> MSN-Nursing Informatics curriculum, please visit: *
>> http://www.nursing.vanderbilt.edu/msn/ni.html*<https://email.mc.vanderbilt.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.nursing.vanderbilt.edu/msn/ni.html>
>> .
>>
>> NOTICE: This document is confidential and privileged pursuant to the
>> provisions of Section 63-6-219 of Tennessee Code Annotated, the contractual
>> obligations of Vanderbilt University to its insurance companies, the
>> attorney-client privilege and other applicable provisions of law. This
>> message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may contain information
>> that is (i) proprietary to the sender, and/or, (ii) privileged, confidential
>> and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable Tennessee and
>> federal law, including, but not limited to, privacy standards imposed
>> pursuant to the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
>> of 1996 ("HIPAA"). Receipt by anyone other than the named recipients(s) is
>> not a waiver of any applicable privilege. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies
>> of the original message.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Etienne Saliez <etienne at saliez.be> wrote:
>>

>>> Yes I am interested on medical software on OLPC.
>>>
>>> I am in contact with health centers an a nursing school in remotes area
>>> of Congo.
>>> Our first concern it getting internet access, a critical condition in
>>> order to be able to provide maintenance.
>>>
>>> The initial intended applications are simple versions of:
>>> - User authentication and sessions
>>> - Patient identification,
>>> - Problem list
>>> - Care plan, including the the followup of vaccinations.
>>> - Access to some medical knowledge, according to a very pragmatic
>>> contextual approach.
>>> - ...
>>>
>>> I would like to do experimental developement on OLPC, intended to be
>>> connected in wireless to a local server.
>>> How far is Python available ?
>>> BTW end 2007 I did pay for 2 OLPC machines, but up to now never received
>>> anything.
>>> In the mean time I did get an ASUS-eeePC-900, and install "eeeUbuntu"
>>> which provide a real Ubuntu, with the most essential software, as I am
>>> using on other machines.
>>> It works on 12 Volts, and did cost here currently 335 Euros.

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज / شبدگر ج ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Six Worlds are my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.