[Health] UVic - UBC Engineering 4 Health Challenge

Morgan Price morgan at virtuallypriceless.org
Wed Nov 19 18:34:27 EST 2008

Hi all -- hopefully this email gets through to the list.

The event went very well -- it was great to see the students engage
and design paper storyboards.

We had 4 interesting projects and one of them has even submitted an
abstract for a poster presentation to the Information Technology and
Communications in Health conference (http://itch.uvic.ca/)

I have posted on my blog about our methods:
http://virtuallypriceless.org/blog/2008/11/engineering-4-health-highschool-challenge-2/

The paper approach was quite accessible and allowed students to spend
time thinking and interacting rather tweaking software.

Students focused on designing health education games, designing
community health applications and on health applications for
families.  There were components of telehealth and personal health
records.  I was very impressed with the thoughtfulness of the high
school students in their designs.

Dr. Weber and I have submitted a paper to the same conference. We are
planning on a second cycle of this, but with University students who
will actually take the ideas and start building prototypes.

All and all a great day

Morgan

Morgan Price, MD, CCFP
morgan at virtuallypriceless.org