[Health] new member, first post

Niels Olson niels.olson at gmail.com
Thu May 15 00:25:13 EDT 2008

hello,

I'm new to the list, Niels Olson. I'm finishing my third year of medical
school at Tulane, in New Orleans. Prior to medical school I was a surface
officer in the US Navy and I'll be going back as a Navy doc, hopefully in a
surgery residency. I learned some LOGO, BASIC, and Pascal between about 10
and 18 years, but took a decade-long detour in the Navy. A shore duty and
the OLPC project resparked my interest and since receiving my G1G1 XO I've
started teaching myself python on the side (using this primer:
http://openbookproject.net//thinkCSpy/).

I have two kids myself and they've been field-testing the XO . . . I can
report 3 year-olds seem to have a universal interest in lifting the keys off
of keyboards, which is particularly ruinous for XOs with their membrane
keyboards (http://www.flickr.com/photos/niels_olson/2456913119/). I've also
been thinking about the $10 telehealth module. One simple finding was that
with a professional stethoscope head and a decent lapel-mic the XO's measure
activity didn't have good amplitude and range settings to display the
captured audio. http://nielsolson.us/Haversian/2007/12/stethophone.php

Coming from the military I'm definitely interested in VistA, and thus
WorldVistA. So my interest in the OLPC health project is broad-based, but my
skill-level is rather shallow still. Obviously my efforts thus far have been
pretty crude, but I hope to make more productive contributions over time.

Regards,

Niels

--
Niels Olson
Tulane School of Medicine
niels.olson at gmail.com
h/c: (410) 212-1281
alt: (443) 221-4648
http://nielsolson.us

This message may contain private information for persons named above. Please
don't share that information with anyone without a need to know. If you
received confidential information without a PGP wrapper, assume it was
compromised, delete it, tell the sender, and try to tell the victim. Please
don't send someone else's private information if you're not reasonably
certain the recipient has a need to know and that the message will be kept
private. Plain email is not private. In some cases, such as health
information protected under the US HIPAA law or information protected under
the US Privacy Act, plain email may be illegal. If you must relate a
person's identity to their private information in email, use Hushmail or
insist your recipients provide you their PGP public key. My public key is
here: http://nielsolson.us/contact.html.