[Health] Content and Licenses

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:59:07 EDT 2008

I'm entirely in tune with the idea, but it's worth pointing out that some
time ago, mchua had created:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Licensing_petitions

to perform essentially the same function.  I also think that a table
structure, while somethimes pretty for display, makes it less useful for
intended purpose, which is editing (addition)  by the average user, keep it
to simple wiki-text with minimum formatting.

The (sometimes, but not always unjustified) fear of copyright and the
difficulty of making a provably correct determination of copyright status is
an important concept and a too common stumbling block for less copyright
savvy users (these may be exactly the sorts of subject matter experts in
health, science or education that we want to contribute content).

It is true that mchua's existing page is not linked-to nearly enough from
other wiki-pages where it would be natural for such a question to arise to a
novice user.  Maybe applying a little wiki-love to the previously existing
page (increasing discoverability within wiki with links from other pages,
adding more category tagging, recruiting copyright savvy folks to "watch",
etc.) would address the issue you are very correctly raising in creating the
(perhaps redundant) new page.  It's no surprise that you didn't find mchua's
page, it was uncategorized and orphaned until I stumbled across it a few
weeks ago, even so, I only added one link to it and only one category tag,
it could use some more visibility.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Cjl