[Health] 16 March 2008 Meeting Notes

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:30:46 EDT 2008

Our conference host was missing, and so it was not until 01:40 pm EDT that
we got the conference line open (thanks to getting the host PIN from Mika,
who had no phone access).

Our apologies to those who tried to attend.

At 01:40 only Chris Leonard, User:Cjl, was online with Frederick Grose,
User:FGrose.  We had a good chat as noted below:

#We talked about our limited understanding of the software and network
infrastructure for enabling 'content'.  I suggested we look at the Library
activity, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Library, as one model.  We agreed that
being able to tag content with meta data, like regional applicability, would
be highly desirable.  I believe that the upcoming revisions to the Journal
data store will make tagging easier.  For the Animal Health project,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Animal_health, for example, it would very helpful
to allow communities to find information specific to their geographical
environment.  (Subsequent thought: Wondering if there is a zoning taxonomy
like the Hardiness zones,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardiness_zone, used
for plants that might be suitable for the Animal husbandry information.)

*Chris shared the idea that we could benefit from having a template cover
letter to help open the doors for recruiting new participants, especially
those subject matter experts who are not familiar with the open source
technology culture.  He plans to post some draft work on our Health project
wiki.

*I suggested that having specific projects described (like Animal health)
were valuable concrete examples to attract interested recruits from broader
communities.  Approaching 4H chapters and agricultural extensions may lead
to more volunteers who see the potential benefits.  It should also be
attractive to those deployments in agricultural communities (consider those
confronting bird flu, for example).

*Chris shared some links to http://orbis.org/ for potential consultation for
the Vision screening project, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Vision_screening, and
http://oercommons.org/ for review of other open education resources and
examples.

*We talked about getting critical subject matter and project advisory help
for the Health project, and decided we should publish a parallel to the 'Ask
OLPC a Question' page, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ask_OLPC_a_Question, for
the Health project.  Perhaps, a 'Health project advisory page' with a
section for the Advisers specifically, but also a place to grow an 'OLPC
Health FAQ' for all current and potential participants.  I offered to draft
such a page.

Thanks for reading!      --Frederick Grose