[Health] Fwd: Health OLPC

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 19:56:25 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Arjun Sarwal <arjun at laptop.org> wrote:
> I apologize for the lack of my time on replying and getting involved
> such great people.
> Anyone who is interested may please reply to Jason.
>
> best regards
> Arjun

Can we talk about supporting your health initiatives with electricity
and Internet connections?

>    I am personally involved primarily with our medical brigade
> program, and will be it's director next year.  I am writing because I
> am interested in purchasing some XO laptops later this year in the buy
> one get one opportunity.

GiveOneGetOne units go for $399. If you and others working with you
can use 100 units, the price comes down to $299 each through GiveMany,
and you don't have to wait for G1G1 to start in order to place your
order.

> I wrote to the main website and they
> directed me to talk to you about what you have done and accomplished.
> I also wanted to see if there were opportunities where I might be able
> to help with your project.  Finally, I was wondering if you know of
> anyone that successfully setup an electronic medical record on an XO
> laptop.  I saw that a number of people were using VistA.  This is
> great, but I was wondering if anyone has tried OpenMRS.  It's an
> electronic medical record, but is a free open-source program.

So is OpenVistA, and there are others.

> Its
> website is http://openmrs.org/wiki/OpenMRS.  I think this could have
> some advantages over VistA.  It is already being used in multiple
> developing countries for many purposes

So is VistA.

> and it is based on a data model
> with a concept dictionary, allowing it to be growable.

VistA is based on the database engine in MUMPS.

> It was started
> by Paul Farmer, known at least in the medical circle, as the "Father
> of International Medicine."

Now that's something nobody else can match. Many of us would be
delighted to get his software onto XOs, and to link our programs
together.

>   Again, I just wanted to get in touch, because I hope to be able to
> use some of your projects in the future. Let me know if there's anyway
> I can help out.
>
> Sincerely,
> Grey Faulkenberry
>

> --
> Arjun Sarwal
> http://dev.laptop.org/~arjs
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=SwcSEcfR464

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज / شبدگر ج ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Six Worlds are my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.