[OLPC-GSoC] Listen and Spell Activity for GSoC

Assim Deodia assim.deodia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:46:17 EDT 2008

Hi All,

would like to inform everybody that I have submitted an application
for Listen and Spell which is a self
voicing activity that would help children to learn new words, improve
spellings and pronunciation.

This activity is the extension of the idea by Tom Hannen (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talkntype) which is based on a 1970's toy Speak
and Spell ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_%26_Spell_(toy)  ). The
activity would speak out a word randomly from a word list and user is
expected to spell it correctly. The Activity would speak each letter as the
user types on. After the user submits the word, activity would speak out the
whole word and tell if it is correct or not. If not user retries the word
again or change it. Also hearing the difference between the two sounds user
can "feel" the difference between his and the correct spelling.

The application would use speech-dispatcher for voicing whose rpm is under
review process and would soon be approved. I have already got approved its
dependency dotconf RPM.

I wish to use word list from the Words activity (
http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/words/Words-2.xo. ) to generate the list to be
spoken out. This multi-lingual dictionary would be a great tool to add other
different languages in the activity. I have planned to provide a "Hint"
feature which would speak out either the word definition or its usage in a
sentence to help user identify the word.

The activity will also support user defined word list which would be useful
for spelling test at school level (or as a game between two or more user
over mesh network). The activity can also be used as memorizing tool as many
people learn more by hearing things.

I have created a wiki page which has been updated after my previous post (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Listen_and_Spell ) for the describing the basic
idea of the activity and discussed some of its
features. I am looking for a mentor who is interested in mentoring this
speech - synthesis based learning tool.

--
Regards
Assim Deodia | http://nsitonline.in/assim