[OLPC-GSoC] [Health] first prototype of working EKG around the XO (was health project in GSoC 2008 )

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 01:49:27 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Arjun Sarwal <arjun at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi Tom
>
> This is a great video, thanks for posting it!
>
> Could you please post the link for the wiki page detailing the circuit details etc, There are many people who would like to try this out! (some cced here -- Ian, Mel.....)

Does anybody here have contacts with Doctors Without Borders or the
Schumacher Institute? I have a contact in Engineers Without Borders,
and I know some Indian companies working on low-cost telemedicine. We
should also get Partners in Health involved.

> Also, itd be interesting to start thinking if you would like to build a customized UI for displaying information. Perhaps something derived off the basic Measure code ? I'd be glad to help you use the Measure code base and customize it according to your need. Feel free to post questions on or off list. (sugar might be a good list to cc on such discussions)
>
> Another idea that I'd like to mention would be to apply such information into the context of a game, i.e. control events/characters in a game on the XO based on such input, that can make the process of personal health monitoring fun ?

This can tie in with the Free Software medical records apps, also.

> [...]
>

> kind regards
> Arjun
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Tom Boonsiri <tom.boonsiri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrzej,
> >
> > That's totally awesome that you want to take on a health project. I might not think that GSoC is the best forum for a hardware focused effort, but there is a great deal of DSP-related software projects you could develop around the HW efforts that we currently have going. In particular, there are already two ECG efforts so I'm not certain that another EKG monitor prototype would be much value added. Ian is trying to work on a USB approach while my team out here in Cali has been working on the MIC IN approach. I haven't been able to participate in the teleconferences so I'm not sure where the USB approach stands on progress. My team has already developed our first prototype which operates with either a USB or 9V battery source. You can see a demo video below:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1QKTKAAug4
> >
> > The amplifier circuit also doubles as an EMG. You can take an electrode and place it on the forearm and flex to see the muscle activity reflected in the waveform. Of course tuning will need to be done for EMG diagnostics but it serves its educational purpose which brings me to my next point. I feel that a handful of the Health participants have fixed their attention towards designing to meet the needs of the clinician and have strayed far from the original focus of this educational project. As an organization, we really need to step out of this "toy and games" mindset and mature a project that impacts the community outside of the classroom. The Health focus is truly one of the primary ways to demonstrate the XO's true potential for the entire community. That said we shouldn't dismiss children as agents of change. There are still many ways we can structure a health project with the kids at the focal point.
> >
> > Andrzej, I think a great project for you would be a respirometer. I can talk to you in detail how I see this peripheral making a social impact.
> >
> > Others, if you are working on a health-related HW effort and have made some tangible progress please send me a private message. I would love to collaborate with you.
> > My intent for this email was not to flame the Health group but rather to motivate others to re-direct their focus to help us gain some traction on an effort that is slowly losing its credibility.
> >

> > Rafael wrote:
> >

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > i've talked with Andrzej about his project and he tells me, that he
> > > can/could be able to build and EKG hardware prototype, but he would need  a
> > > mentor to do  and extension  to Measure  or  an specific activity  to
> > > interpret and capture the EKG  bio-signal.
> > >
> > > Anyone interested in be his mentor for Gsoc?

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/