[OLPC-GSoC] Educational Toolkit

Deepank Gupta deepankgupta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:49:11 EDT 2008

> I wonder whether we can get some computational linguists to
> provide a way to generate grammar practice. I don't mean declensions
> and conjugations, but generative and transformational grammar
> questions and answers or statements and responses.

> "He doesn't like coffee."

> "Do you like coffee?"

> "I used to like coffee."

> "I didn't know that he likes coffee."

> "Do you know whether he likes coffee?"

> "Someone who likes coffee might also like coffee ice cream."

> Different languages put emphasis on different transformations. Gender
> is required in some languages, and entirely optional in others, while
> yet other languages make quite different distinctions. Languages have
> different numbers of plurals. There are a multitude of different
> structures in different languages that we would want to support.

A very nice idea regarding the provision to generate grammar practice tests
which I am sure can be taken up as a project in it at a later stage.

> Does this have any relation to Hypercard-style creation of learning tools?

The answer is both yes and no. While the analogy is correct in essential,
the thing we are trying to do is quite different from HyperCard. It will
turn out to be as essential for XO as Hypercard was for Mac OS in its start
before the advent of web-technologies, but is different since it is present
at a different domain. Also while Hypercard is a generalised large
environment for Rapid Application Development which can be used to make
everything from Games to address books and was like a programming language
for Mac, the toolkit will be a generalised environment for XO which will
focus on educational environment.

Regards
Deepank