[OLPC-GSoC] Idea - game framework and game

Michal Sciubidlo michal.sciubidlo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:40:40 EDT 2008

Hello everyone.

This mial is for introducing myself and to present my GSoC idea. My name is
Michal Sciubidlo, I'm student at Silesian University, Poland. It's my last
year of master degree at computer science. I'm interested in floss from long
time. It's all started in 2000 when i had to split Internet connection for me
and next door. From then i'm strong floss supporter and user. From not so
long ago i'm also KDE developer.
I would like to participate in creating game multi/single player framework
because some time ago i wanted to find and use such a framework for scrabble
like game. Unfortunately all projects weren't general enough. Good framework
should support both games with perfect (chess, othello, macala) and imperfect
information (scrabble and many of cards games). I saw some multiplayer game
implementations and i know their pitfalls. This experience allows me to deal
with them earlier and finish project on time.
This SoC project proposal includes both framework and game based on it.

 Framework:
 - common game elements and classes - game, board, time elapsing, player
handling (AI, human),
 - moves handling (next player, next turn, game finished)
 - chat
 - spectators
 - game recording
 - highscores

 Game:
 - cross word game (like scrabble)
 - could be played in many languages (just need for letters list and
dictionary of allowed words)
 - good and fast AI (unbeatable for occasional players)
 - game playback
 Specific features:
 - creating dictionaries tunned for specific topic (animals, dressing)
 - scenario challenges eg. in particular situation find best adjective
 - after move player could ask for a word definition - this would require
online dictionary or offline application
 - hint system for games with AI that will show good place to play or show
definition of big score word
 Pros of this game:
 - would use all framework features
 - great for teaching vocabulary in native and foreign languages

If you have any comments, suggestions or questions then don't hesitate.

--
Michal Sciubidlo
Jabber: michal at kdetalk.net