[OLPC-GSoC] Email activity - design decisions

Shikhar shikhar at schmizz.net
Sun Apr 6 16:42:25 EDT 2008

Samuel Klein wrote:
> As for mail clients, I'd like to see a project idea that reflects on
> the design decisions made by existing clients (including the tinymail
> client being slowly ported to the XO) and describes a sufficiently
> simple place to start.
Earlier I had planned to use the Python libraries for
sending/receiving/MIME-handling and write the mail storage layer using
sqlite. But I see that relying on Tinymail for these features - and
others that I learned it provides for email client developers - would
make a lot more sense with regard to performance and implementability.
Most of all it has been tried-and-tested, is actively developed and the
API is very flexible.

My proposal is up at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Email_Activity (Homunq,
SJ: thanks for the feedback!)

I had an IRC conversation with Phillip Van Hoof who is the Tinymail
maintainer and he is interested in mentoring development. I am cc:ing
this email to him. His mentorship would be very valuable in the
development of an email activity that makes use of Tinymail.

Cheers,

Shikhar