[OLPC-GSoC] Flash Card software (memorization)

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:11:56 EDT 2008

This recent paper in Science has some interesting concluding sentences,

> ... the present research shows that the conventional wisdom existing in
> education and expressed in many study guides is wrong.  Even after items can
> be recalled from memory, eliminating those items from repeated retrieval
> practice greatly reduces long-term retention.

How about a facility that would present review quizzes for lessons
previously studied, perhaps gathered from appropriate records in the
Journal.  Any lesson software could register flash-card reminder lessons for
use with the proposed tool.

(http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/319/5865/966)
The Critical Importance of Retrieval for Learning
 *Jeffrey D. Karpicke1* and Henry L. Roediger, III2 *

Learning is often considered complete when a student can produce the correct
answer to a question. In our research, students in one condition learned
foreign language vocabulary words in the standard paradigm of repeated
study-test trials. In three other conditions, once a student had correctly
produced the vocabulary item, it was repeatedly studied but dropped
from further
testing, repeatedly tested but dropped from further study, or dropped from
both study and test. Repeated studying after learning had no effect on
delayed recall, but repeated testing produced a large positive effect. In
addition, students' predictions of their performance were uncorrelated with
actual performance. The results demonstrate the critical role of
retrieval practice
in consolidating learning and show that even university students seem
unaware of this fact.

 1 Department of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette,
IN 47907, USA.
2 Department of Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis,
MO 63130, USA.