[Grassroots-l] [support-gang] NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg

Sandra Thaxter sandra.thaxter at verizon.net
Fri Sep 16 17:39:30 EDT 2011

Dear Contributors:

Sorry to miss most of  today's meeting.  I love the business (women in the market) simulation games for Haiti.

Wanted to provide updates on Eshibinga project ,  supplied with 2 XOs in June, and going strong.   A great candidate for a few more XOs.   Sydney  (a student) wrote a lovely article earlier about how this is really a personal computer after taking videos of his father who is ill.

Teachers in Kenya may be on strike but these students are still learning thanks to their XO laptops!

Here is the latest this amazing group has proposed:     http://eshibinga.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/xo-laptops-takes-on-to-teach-health-education/
    The jigger crisis has increasingly become an area of critical concern not only for Eshibinga community but also to the larger community. It is a health issue that seems to be an obstacle to effective learning, brings discomfort and takes away the esteem of the students. The Eshibinga communinity has decided to use the XO laptops to enlighten the masses on issues sorrounding hygiene. The teachers led by Peter Amunga are designing a framework that will address this issue. stay tuned!

    This project is supported by Jane Wanju Bromberg of Webster MA  ( a native Kenyan) and the on-site team leader is Peter Amunga.

   1. NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, Fri Sep
      16, 2PM EDT) (Holt)

Message: 1